Sunday 15 June 2008

Please Sir, Can We Have Some More?

I tried emailing O2. Once I had logged in, I had to enter my address again and DoB before I could contact them. They're happy to give me my bill with merely a login, but asking them something requires a higher level of security check. I felt in my place before emailing them. Like standing outside the headmaster's door. Cor gov'n'r, thank e for allowing me an audience...

I use my mobile phone when out hiking (e.g. in the Cairngorms). Whilst I appreciate there are blind spots in your coverage, and there are hidden glens, etc, what I fail to comprehend is the occasions that I have received a text (eg when on a hill), and try to send a reply. On many an occasion I have watched the signal strength drop through the bars until I can only send "for emergency use only".

Please, simply tell me why this happens? I hadn't moved. Presumably the transmitter mast hadn't moved either. But your service fails me.

I don't care that you knock the socks off other company's coverage. I just want to know why something that should be constant seems to be variable. From 5 bars to 0 bars. That's 100% drop in service.

It just gets frustrating. As you may gather.

I think that it will put your new gps-featured iPhone in doubt for use by the outdoors community.

I look forward to your technical explanation of the service fluctuation.

Duncan MacLeod
http://aktoman.blogspot.com

But when I tried posting it, I was told that the message was too long. No hints as to what I need to shorten it by.

I use my mobile phone when out hiking (e.g. in the Cairngorms). I notice that there are occasions that I have received a text (eg when on a hill), and try to send a reply. On many an occasion I have watched the signal strength drop through the bars until I can only send "for emergency use only".
Please, simply tell me why this happens? I hadn't moved. Presumably the transmitter mast hadn't moved either. But your service fails me.
I'd like to know why something that should be constant seems to be variable. From 5 bars to 0 bars. That's 100% drop in service.
I think that it will put your new gps-featured iPhone in doubt for use by the outdoors community.
Duncan MacLeod
http://aktoman.blogspot.com

We need as much coverage in the UK as possible. I think some form of sharing of networks may be in order. And then some private company to get better coverage out there. It'll never get to 100% coverage, but there has to be some technical breakthrough due. I mean, Marconi was working with radio outdoors after 1895. 113 years of development and this is where we are at.

There has to be a better way.

Of course, if you are designing a cash-cow, then, moooo

4 comments:

Alan Sloman said...

When I am in France I am texted to let me know which service is available to me as my usual provider does not operate in France. This means I still have use of my otherwise useless device.

Why oh why does this not happen in the uK? If my provider cannot give me a service but there is a strong signal from another provider, why can I not use their service? All I am curently left with is a useless device.

Seems barmy to me. I asked O2 why this was the case, but they did not reply to me.

AktoMan said...

Selected responses from a series of emails from O2 over the last few days:

Network signals usually fluctuate when you climb up or are at height. This is just a temporary network fault. You can try sending text messages from a place where you get the strongest network signal.
--
Our engineers are continuously upgrading our cell sites to provide the best possible service to our customers in all areas.

However, we can't guarantee a full signal at all times especially in remote areas.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
--
We try to provide the best service possible to our customers and I'm very happy that you're pleased with the service we provide.

Please note that we're always expanding our network and it's only through feedback such as your own that we can find out where our customers' needs are greatest.
--

Anonymous said...

Just randomly stopped by and noticed your question.

My understanding of the physics of waves is that if you are approximately midway between two antennae, the signals can interfere as they will have the same strength. This will mean both constructive and destructive interference.

Effectively, the weak signal if you are far away from both posts will be amplified in one wavelength, but then they will cancel each other out in the next.

That's a slightly crude explanation, but may go some way to explaining why it happens, when you are a really long way from the signals. It's noticeable in towns also, when you have a good signal one second, then in one spot it's wildly variable, then back to good.

AktoMan said...

Thanks, anon.

I had flash-backs to wave tank experiment in secondary school :)

A quick search online shows similar exlplanations for microwave ovens not nuking food thoroughly.

link