Wednesday 29 October 2008

Clack clack


Clack clack, originally uploaded by dimacleod.

I'm no wearied lord. With crawling feet i outstretch my knee and push on. No mead to warm my heart as the cold wind cuts through my overcoat.

I push on through the empty landscape. Varied in mood: tranquil, turbulent; thoughtful, mirthful. I hear the words of a far-off friend cut through the darkness. A ghost in the machine.

Long streets are safe but open. Short streets are dark and foreboding. The mockery of a journey is mercifully short. Directions. Instructions. Alarms. Concern. Rations. Clothing. Body shattered by the early hour. Destruction in my wake. I am become uncaring. The ghost battles the spirit troll before the Sun brings the logic of Day to the desolate land. Defence, support, sadness,

But i get to the train station and set off for a day in stirling at the virtual worlds conference. To me, that's what a real life journey is like. A short walk through town. Lots of people do it every day. Nothing special. But to some people, breaking out is something new, something different, something to aspire to. Life is too short to deal with the prattling of anonymous trolls. I can never understand their bullying, the people who pick on unknown folk for fun. Enough happens in real life to keep me busy. Thanks to folk for the advice and encouragement, and showing that people are people. In these times, alan and phil's blogs put everything into perspective. Good luck and best wishes, gentlemen.

10 comments:

Dawn said...

As you say Duncan, anonymous creatures. Individuals, who like cockroaches, scuttle out from dark crevices. nasty, sniping, hurtful. These are people who do the same on my blogs. Interestingly, they seek out my other blog site, spend time going through it and then leave their cruel little messages. Creatures, who, in the light of day, do not have the courage or ability to stand up and say who they are, nor yet allow room for folk speak in their own defence against these snide comments. My wordiology may not be the best, but always I try to be honest and open in what I say. My writing forms around that which I am. Dawn feeling

Mike Knipe said...

Bum holes - forget 'em. I did say that I was shocked at the nastiness and Dawn went all diplomatical.

Actually, Dawn, Ive read your blog and I think your writing paints very clear pictures, so I dont agree with what you just said....

There, I'm having an argument.....

Dawn said...

No problem Mike, now behave or shall embarrass you by sending you a hug. Dawn

Martin Rye said...

Duncan we all have a choice how we walk and I supported your choice to do what you did on the WHW. Only we know how we are coping etc. On the grief etc ignore them – yet that is hard sometimes. On communication we write something sure we have said what we intended and some one does not read it that way. Blogs should be civil. Let’s hope we can keep it that way. I have my critics as well so you’re not alone. You take care.

Fiona-Jane Brown said...

Sorry to hear the commenters of late have got you down. Words do wound, the well-meaning teachers of primary school who always said 'names can never hurt' never went through it themselves. It's very difficult when you're trying to do right in the world, be a good friend and people turn on you with the nastiest of comments out of nowhere, and then think they are justified in calling it a joke if challenged. That's such a shame. But, you can let it fester like a boil, or you can leave it and decide that you will no longer associate with that person. Leave the commenters behind, you never actually have to see them face-to-face. The others are right, they only do it cos they know they'll never likely meet you IRL. It's the people who do that to your face that are much much more dangerous. Hope things improve soon.

Storyquine

Michael Grant Clark said...

Quitter!

Go home to your own country and stop stealing our jobs.

Oh sorry, wrong blog.

AktoMan said...

B.st.rd!!!

Russell Brand for the new Doc Who!
;-)

AktoMan said...

As no-one noticed, words were extracted from Y Gododdin

scott said...

Just you keep doing what you do, Duncan. Don't spare them a thought.

I speak with some authority on failing to complete an intended walk. That's the last two weekends I've managed to make an erse of getting up a Munro.

You wouldn't think it was possible to lose the stalker's path to Binnein beag in the Mamores, but...

;0)

AktoMan said...

Thanks, Scott. We all have our own agendas, plans, fitness levels and confidence. I don't see a problem with calling off plan A, because of weather, worries, or the like.