Friday 17 October 2008

Wild mood swing

Like a tv advert, the baseroom erupts forth when the clock chimes 5. The group splits as exit choices are made and i walk out with one chap, talking about holidays and his search for motivation to go on exploratory walks in to our fine countryside. Crossing a road, and we part company with warm wishes. Two steps later, my mood has changed and i am now in pre-operational mode. My inner vision is recalling the weather forecarts forecasts that i have in my bag. My eyes are looking at the clouds. Arriving home, i barely take my jacket off before i am trimming a windshield so it will fit into my snowpeak cookpot along with the gas cannister that promises to work at lower temperatures than normal. My usual tactic of stacking required kit in piles on my bed comes into play again, and i grab gear as i see it and place it in a pile. I have very few choices to make. I will, however, be taking more kit with me just in case. The forecast refers to squalls, gales and snow. Better to be safe than sorry, as i will have only myself to blame. Life is unforgiving. The bad weather may be on the hills rather than the glens. It may pass me by. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Duncan, an early life instructor told me 'any fool can be uncomfortable' and that applies just as much to simple civilian activities as those he was talking about.
Have a good time.

AktoMan said...

I've chucked away a pile of things that I thought were essential (ask yourself, do you really need all these pots, pans and cutlery?).

Tonight, one of my decisions was which book of poems to take with me. A cheap, slimline paperback, obviously.

Heck, I filled a 70litre pack for a night on Ben Hope in 2005. I'm probably taking less weight with me for a 95 mile hike, and be more comfortable.

Certainly more confident about my own abilities. Heck, one of the ladies at work said she "admired me" for doing things like this. Shucks, I don't think anyone's ever said the admire me. I feel ashamed at hardly getting out over the last year, and I weighed myself out at 118.6kg - and that's without a pack!

Big Kev said...

I'm sure you'll have a great time. None of yer neo colonialist ways tho' ye hear?

Always ask yourself: "What would Humphrey do?"

Enjoy.

:o)

Anonymous said...

You will be fine Duncan, a lot of folk have last minute nerves before a trip. Allow the extra weight of a few special treats. Some favourite chocolate, a few nibbles. If you feel a wee bit down, if the weather is not good or what ever, you can hunker down and have a little bit of comfort food. Little treats as a reward or a pick me up can make all the difference on a trip. You have prepared well, now get out there and enjoy. Dawn

AktoMan said...

@Dawn - not nerves, but running through my mental 'to do' list. If all else fails ... play this ;-)

@Kev - it isn't as if I'm going to be lifting the cobbles of the military road sections or avoiding the Kingshouse. As a descendant of one of the Viking clans, it would be hypocritical of me to knock the the military subjugation of this land. I can, however, decry the murder, evictions, destruction of property etc brought down upon the civilian population by the conquering power. Let alone the later forced evictions by land-owners.

AktoMan said...

Oops, is that the time, I'd best get my packing done :))))

Londonbackpacker said...

I'm always nervous when going out on a trip after a long lay off; just human nature.

Have a great trip; I wish I could of made it :-)

AktoMan said...

Now, with everything packed and ready to go, and a bed-time Lemsip (but no ST:TNG as the sodding snooker is on), now, I start feeling the nerves of antici...pation.

So, I'm loading up some albums onto my mobile phone under the excuse of 'just in case I need an instant ceilidh'.

Don't worry George, just wire the money to the bar at the Kingshouse ;-) Have a nice time, Darren says the weather is loverly down there.