Thursday 23 October 2008

Viva glen nevis


Viva glen nevis, originally uploaded by dimacleod.

Yesterday i spent mainly reading old TGO and TAC mags go the hostel. Even found a photo of a mr mcneish sporting what looked like a pair of dungarees, matching baseball cap and sunglasses. Well, bananarama's loss was our gain! And my mental 'to do' list got longer and longer. I also started reading a book from the 1930's, "when the scot smiles" and must get myself a copy.

I caught the first bus out today and hope the lass in the hostel enjoyed her planned walk to the bridge of orchy, or the later bus to fort william too. The bus was buffeted by the wind in a couple of places and hills barely visible.

I recognised the shapes crossing the road as the bus stopped at the kingshouse. As the driver opened the luggage compartment, i heard a voice mentioning my pack (all 3 of us have osprey packs and pacerpoles). They had a fast walk through yesterday, which i look forward to reading more about on their blog. Flooded this morning, and i hope gayle posts the video she showed me of the 'croc' shoe floating by the stove.

Arriving in fort william, we breakfast in a supermarket and my luck strikes again as the store suddenly fails to be able to process card payments. The puddle outside provides entertainment for a wee lass in pink and purple and flowery wellies, and two unicycling lads. In search of a charger, we find that the town has no mobile phone shops. At all. Wow. But, despite my misgivings, woolworths sold a universal charger that included the adapter for my nokia 'slim'. Then a short taxi ride to the glen nevis campsite where we are currently hunkered down in our tents. I've unclipped half of the inner so that i can keep it clean and mudfree (small hope) for sleeping in. Lounging in the tent with an outer jacket as groundsheet. Life is good.

5 comments:

Northern Walker said...

Glad to hear you're not squelching anymore... sad to hear that the weather was so horrible.

I've enjoyed your posts,though. Brought back memories of my WHW - although the weather was much more agreeable.

Andy Howell said...

The image of Cameron in Bananarama will stay with me for a long time :-)

Anonymous said...

The thought of Cameron in Bananarama is mind boggling. it goes to show, below that sometimes no nonsense, almost gruff exterior lies a sense of fun and mischief. Cameron will probably be sending me an e mail for saying that. Dawn.

Anonymous said...

The thought of Cameron in Bananarama is mind boggling. it goes to show, below that sometimes no nonsense, almost gruff exterior lies a sense of fun and mischief. Cameron will probably be sending me an e mail for saying that. Dawn.

Anonymous said...

Didn't they sing about being high up on a mountain top? The "silver flame" obviously a reference to his beard. Coincidentally, a song being used to advertise shaving kit! The band splits, shakespeare's sister for some and tgo head for one. Time for a reunion? Or time for me to go and check the tent pegging after more squalls bounce up the glen.